Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Double Chocolate Muffins...of Doom

I know, I know...I said I as going to make ice cream cake. I'm still planning on doing the ice cream cake, I just haven't been to the store yet.

Tonight, while browsing chocolate chip cookie recipes, I found a double chocolate muffin recipe on Now...You're Cooking! I've never used this site before, but it looks like it has some good recipes. I wasn't sleepy, so I decided to do the muffins tonight. Jerome's had a rough couple of nights, why not have him wake up to the complete surprise of chocolate muffins?

Here we go...
Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 package (1 1/3 cups) white chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well.
In a medium bowl mix the egg, milk, butter and vanilla.
Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients, and mix lightly, just enough to moisten.
Set aside about 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips, and mix the rest into the batter.
Spoon into muffin tins that have been greased or lined with paper muffin cups.
Sprinkle reserved white chocolate chips over the tops of the muffins.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.


So, I got my stuff into the two different bowls.

Then I noticed SOMEONE peed on the floor by the door! Of course she ran away as soon as I noticed...
So I had to chase her as quietly as I could until I could get her to show her what she did wrong and put her outside for a few minutes while I cleaned up.

After washing my hands, I added my wet to my dry. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't use an electric mixer in this case. It was easy to mix in without one and it does say just to moisten, not until well mixed or anything. Ended up kind of thick, but by no means was it hard to mix.

It might be noted that I used milk chocolate chips instead of white chocolate chips because that's what I had. We also had semi sweet, but I felt the muffins could use the sweetness of the milk chocolate.

I added my chocolate and started looking for my muffin tin. I knew I'd seen it since we moved. I actually thought it was already unpacked...but it wasn't where I thought...so I started poking in the boxes where I knew there was kitchen stuff. I found it shortly, with an array of scary BUGS in it!!!

I let out a short scream and ran upstairs. I did what I had been avoiding doing, I woke up Jerome. He was not happy, but he got up and fixed it...when he saw the pan, he actually said it was okay because those were some freaky bugs.

So, I washed the pan and spooned in my batter and then sprinkled each (rather full) cup thingy with the set aside chocolate chips.

Then I put them in the oven and started to clean up the kitchen. Well, I cleaned the dishes and the counters...Peach cleaned the floor:

The muffins took the whole 25 minutes to cook...and somehow I managed to burn the top chocolate chips. That had never happened to me before.

At first, I was worried...I moved them onto my one and only plattery thing to cool. I made them look pretty, and left them alone, while I finished cleaning. Consider this the before picture:

Finally, I tasted one. It turns out the burnt chocolate chips actually taste a lot like M&Ms! The outside got all crispy and lovely. It was awesome!

Hubby and friends were happy to have them too...I once again woke up to a mostly empty plate. :D

3 comments:

  1. Very entertaining, perphaps even enough so that I may cook again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very tempted to try making these muffins myself....

    And thanks for coming by the daily-good-thing blog and posting; I love to read about the good things in other people's days!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just had to say that dog's black fur looks cool

    ReplyDelete