Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Snickerdoodles!

Last night I couldn't sleep, so I decided to make these snickerdoodles I'd read about on Chickens in the Road. I had been wanting to make them since I first read that post and now I'd finally gotten more sugar.

Snickerdoodles
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

In a large bowl, measure flour, butter, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, vanilla, eggs, sugar. Stir till well blended. Shape dough into a ball; cover with plastic wrap. Chill dough for two hours or until easy to handle. Place cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Shape chilled dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll balls in cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 400-degrees on greased cookie sheets for 8-10 minutes.


I timed it so they would be done right as my husband woke up. What's better than waking up to the smell of fresh baked goods?

I had already gotten through most of the recipe when I thought, "Hey, all the crazy baking I've been doing since we moved might make a nice blog!" So I went and found the camera.

I'd already done all the combining of ingredients and had already chilled my dough...by then, I was forming my dough balls for the first batch. (I only have one cookie sheet, so everything is done in batches.)


The dough was really easy to make and easy to work with. It also tasted awesome, I had to try hard not to eat it while the first batch baked.

I found with our electric oven it took about 10 minutes for each batch.


They turned out well. Yielded about 26 cookies for me in two and a half batches.

I went to go wake up the puppy and the husband.

For the record, puppies are much easier to wake up than husbands. I thought the cookies were good, maybe I would just eat them all and not share if he wouldn't get up. I' not that mean. When he finally did wake up, though, he liked the cookies.

I went to bed after he went to work. Yeah, I was finally sleepy. I was dimly aware that he came home for his mid-morning break with a friend. I guess they really liked the cookies:
Because that's all I found when I woke up.

And that about wraps this up. Since this was the first post, I know it was a little rough around the edges...but I'll work out the kinks as I go. Feel free to comment or email suggestions. ^.^

1 comment:

  1. My husband's mom always made him snickerdoodles and I've been afraid to try it in case mine are horrible. (You know, it's hard to compete with those moms sometimes!) I will just have to get brave and do it!

    ReplyDelete